Monday, November 18, 2013

Why I'll pay for online news

The Daily Camera -- my former employer -- announced today they'll begin charging for access to unlimited news online. 

(Insert slow clap here). 

Here's the thing: This isn't going to be the most popular decision, sure -- but it needs to happen. Think of it this way: Every day, you pick up your co-worker and drive him to work ... for 10 years. Then, you're like, 'Hey, friend, do you think you could pitch in a little gas money?'

Basically, the free ride is coming to an end. Newspapers have generously given away quality content for years, and now they're asking for a little gas money in return to continue fueling the news machine.  Newsrooms are running as efficiently as possible. Ask a reporter when is the last time he got a raise. I double-dog dare you. Newspapers need a bump on the revenue side. Mobile readership is growing -- but your iPhone can only hold so many advertisements. You don't want to play Whack-A-Mole with pop-up ads on the full website. 

Obviously, a paywall isn't a popular decision because it's tough to start paying for something that you've been getting for free. But, it's about time, gosh darnit. 

After reading some comments on the Camera's article about the planned paywall, here's my response: 

Sign me up.

I'll definitely pay the small fee for a service that informs me, entertains me, acts as a watchdog, publishes my fellow community members' letters to the editor, lets me know what's happening at my alma mater, staffs the newsroom overnight to deliver up-to-date information about a flood, etc. In my book, that's a good investment and part of being an engaged, well-informed citizen. The fact of the matter is there's costs associated with conducting quality reporting -- fees associated with open records requests, for example, or the cost of police records. I'm cool with essentially being a shareholder in the Fourth Estate. $10 a month for all of this? Deal!

On the topic of Bloggers Vs. Journalists ... Will a blogger travel to a meeting, sit through the entire meeting and write a breaking news story for the web even if it's the middle of night -- all while providing all sides of the story? And while you're on that blog, can you also find a preps score, get a round up of what entertainment options you have for the weekend, etc?

Back in the "old" days of journalism -- before news was constantly breaking and being updated online -- there was little excuse to have grammatical errors or typos in stories because reporters and editors had all day to polish the story for the sole, final edition. I'm OK if there's a minor typo in a breaking news story. It's likely temporary. Hey, if there's a gas line break on the highway and a reporter rushes to get a story up on the web about U.S. 36 being closed in one direction, well, then thank you for saving me from sitting in traffic -- I'll gladly excuse a brief typo.

No comments:

Post a Comment